Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Alma-Marie's review of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse movie

I just saw the premier of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse at our local Century theater with Twi-K and a few of our friends. We saw the "Twilight Trilogy" showing of all three Twilight films in a row. It was nice to see Twilight and New Moon on the big screen again, and to put Eclipse into the context of what came before.



I liked Eclipse a lot. It had a nice balance of romance and action, with a dark edge and a bit of humor. Thank you, David Slade, for a job well done!

Warning: Minor spoiler alerts ahead (especially if you haven't read the book.)

My Favorite Bits
- My favorite song from the soundtrack ("My Love" by Sia) played during my favorite scene.
- I recognized the mountain top where Bella and Jacob shared a key moment. My husband and I also shared a moment on that same mountain top on our first wedding anniversary, so that was very cool!
- I loved the dark, edgy scenes of the newborn vampires in Seattle.
- I loved the "theatrical" costume Rosalie wore when she got her vengeance on Royce! Go Rosalie!
- I loved the bed scene in Edward's room, and the dialog between Bella and Edward.
- I loved the tension in the tent scene.
- I loved Charlie every time he was on screen. He's such a cool dad.
- I loved learning Jasper's back story, and watching him take the lead role in fight training.
- Samuel Xavier did a great job portraying Riley. He was actually more menacing than Victoria!
- There were lots of close-ups and tight camera work, which made the story feel more intimate and brought me right into the action. (It also helped to have a huge floor-to-ceiling movie screen.)
- The battle scenes and special effects were especially good, although the wolves didn't seem quite as large and scary as they were in New Moon. Maybe because they're the good guys now?
- It was really nice to see Bree Tanner and a bit more of her story.
- I loved that Taylor really stepped up his role as Jacob emotionally. Even though I am a Team Edward fan, I actually considered switching to Team Jacob in this movie!

My Wish List
- I wish they explained more about the bed and Bella's reaction to it before Edward arrived.
- I wish Edward's character didn't seem so distant in this film. I didn't feel the connection as much between him and Bella.
- I wish they didn't have to use so many wigs. The wigs were slightly distracting to me.
- I wish they showed Rosalie's longing for a child of her own. I thought that background detail was essential to understanding her character.
- I wish they showed Bella's glimpse of a possible future with Jacob, and her heartbreak at losing him.

The end of the movie definitely had me wanting more…I can hardly wait to see what happens in Breaking Dawn!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with mostly everything you said. But I did like the wolves better in Eclipse. I thought they looked more realistic.

    ReplyDelete