Sunday, April 18, 2010

Twilight in Forks DVD Review

I just watched the Twilight in Forks: The Saga of the Real Town DVD last night, and as a Twilight fan myself, I found it disappointing and depressing. (Sorry about the negative review, but that's how I saw it.)



Perhaps it was my expectations. My family is planning to drive up the Pacific coast to Vancouver this summer, and I thought it would be fun to visit Forks and La Push on our trip. I was hoping that Twilight in Forks would provide a nice introduction to the area, its history, and points of interest, with some Twilight thrown in for fun.

But this "documentary" lacked any real substance. It's more like an 84-minute infomercial, full of talking heads, telling us over and over about how much they loved Twilight or how Twilight has improved the economy of Forks and the area around it. It's all about marketing Twilight products to the tourists, with a few fleeting panoramic shots of the Pacific Northwest thrown in.

The overall atmosphere (and message) of this documentary felt depressing and negative to me. The music, the lighting, the transitions, the filming technique --all contributed to this feeling. Maybe the film makers were trying to make it moody and mysterious? All I know is, it was almost painful to watch it to the end, and afterward, I felt depressed by the whole experience.

Perhaps this documentary would have been better if there were an enthusiastic host or narrator who was going on their own Twilight pilgrimage to Forks, interviewing residents and sharing their travel experiences with us. Then it would have a more personal perspective to it. And it might have added a bit of fun to the documentary.

This documentary definitely needed a bit more fun and perspective.

If you are a hard-core, die-hard Twilight fan who just has to watch this DVD, I recommend renting it or borrowing it from a friend. (Thanks for sharing your DVD, Twi-K.)

Of course, if you had a different experience watching this DVD, please let us know. This review is just my own opinion.

If you really want to buy this DVD, it's available on Amazon.com for $10.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment